First things first. I am actually exercising! We have an hour every day and this week I started running a mile right at the start and then doing whatever sport I felt like. We have a few other ex-cross country runners and so we all started doing it together. One of the Elders has a fastest 5k time of 16:30!! That's insane! Anyways, the track we run on is inside and 10 laps equals one mile. We all start together and then around halfway through they all start to slow down but I feel so good I take off (I try not to think of it like a race but I can't help it, I have to win!). One guy times us and he said I was around 6:25 for my first mile ever at the MTC. Then the next day I went low 6! I'm not sure how accurate it is, but either way I feel great! We have also started doing they Rey L. Pratt 90X (Rey Pratt is the name of our residence hall and some Elder made a whole workout). It is so hard but I like doing it because I don't feel as bad eating the food.
The next big headline was our Tuesday night devotional. It was from K. Brett Nattress of the Seventy who some of you might know as the old Gilbert Arizona Mission President. He and his wife spoke and did their trademark podium sharing technique. It was a good message. We also had our devotional last night from President and Sister Gilbert from the MTC Presidency. It was like a big Primary program and the Spirit was super strong. It was awesome! Speaking of singing, I am in the MTC choir and the Branch choir! I didn't think I would be but they said even if you have a song in your heart, not your mouth, you should still come. And obviously, since I love music I decided to go. We have sung Nearer my God to Thee and Praise to the Man as an MTC Choir and for the Branch we are singing Come Thou Fount (MY FAVORITE!!) I have learned how much music can bring the Spirit into a meeting. It's awesome!
The next item of business is the reason for this week's clickbait title. We had heard rumors of past missionaries hiding things in the air vents as time capsules of sorts. So we checked ours one night and there was actually stuff in there!! It is over a year old, but it is super cool. There is just random stuff in it, but it's awesome! We are trying to figure out what we want to add as our contribution before we leave. But we have some time so we will find the most unique thing yet.
The Chinese are at war with the Koreans. That is, the Mandarin speakers are at war with the Korean speakers. Right near the cafeteria entrance is the bookshelf with copies of the Book of Mormon in all different languages. If you haven't guessed by now we always want the Mandarin one to be front and center but the Koreans feel the same way. Hence the war. This past week we hid the Korean copy on top of the shelf thinking they would never find it, but sure enough next meal there it was front and center. So an Elder in our zone took the Mandarin one, swapped it out, and put the Korean one inside the frame of the big map that hangs in the same hallway (The one that all the missionaries take pics in front of). As of now, no copy is front and center because the Koreans took ours and are apparently super mad. So I think that is a sign that we should cut it out. haha.
The last big item is from my teaching experiences we have been having. We have been teaching lessons since day 3 and last Monday we had to teach a lesson. So as my companion and I went in we had a plan but it went a little off when our mudaoyou (investigator) asked us why Joseph Smith prayed and why God came to him. Me and Elder Engel were caught off guard and took a moment to think. In that moment, I heard a voice tell me, "Open your mouth." And so I did and as soon as I did I went on to explain how Yuesi Simi (Joseph Smith) had a question and he read James 1:5 and Shen (God) and Yesu Jidu (Jesus Christ) came to answer his question and tell him none of the churches were right. ALL IN CHINESE!!! I couldn't believe it it was so awesome. But I know it was Heavenly Father giving me the Gift of Tongues when I needed it. Every time I think about it I still am shocked and my testimony has grown so much because of it.
The last thing today is in honor of yesterday being Father's Day. I am so grateful for my Dad and all he's done for me. Setting an example I can only hope to emulate someday. For being a spiritual giant and showing me an awesome example of faith and humility. I love you Dad hope you had an amazing day!
I love you all,
司长老 (My Chinese name is Si Zhanglao, Si means "take charge of, control, manage; officer" and Zhanglao means Elder!)
WAR UPDATE!
We have now signed a treaty and are fighting the Japanese now. They have three copies on the shelf so let the games begin.
| Me at the temple. |
| My whole zone at our temple walk. |
| My wall right above my head in bed. Just a little self-motivation! |
| The time capsule! |