This was a tough week! - 9/6/16

Wait! I Need to be more positive!

I am positive this was a tough week!

:D

It was a good one though. The real exciting part was Hermine. She caused a lot of damage, though as far as I know no one in the area was hurt. Although, we know of 1 trailer, 2 houses, and one Ford Ranger that got crunched by falling trees. The computer is being slow so I will send as many as I can throughout my time here. We were safe and our trailer has only minimal damage (the skirt underneath is now loose and bent, makes it sound like we are sliding off the cinder blocks every time the wind blows!) Perhaps the saddest thing is that a member in our congregation lost their 45 foot Weeping Willow tree. It was so pretty and full and is now being chopped up.

Before

After
There are down trees and limbs everywhere and some billboards got blown over too. One was for an adult store though so that isn't much of a loss. ;)

The storm blew in at around 2 A.M. with high winds and rain, the rain was literally falling sideways. It woke me up and kept me up. The power would blink on and off all night but it stayed on. Then the storm intensified and the wind changed directions at around 8:10. That is when we think all the trees came down. Our power went out for good at 8:13 A.M. (I made a note of it). Driving around afterwards was weird because we actually saw down power lines with limbs and trees on top of them. It was like living the news! Needless to say, we did not go out that day. We toughed it out and stayed in all day. I don't like staying in for that long. I was anxious because we didn't know anything about the storm! All we knew was that it was here! The trailer was shaking from the wind all day and the loose skirt and lack of power wasn't helping. I never felt like we were truly in danger for two reasons, 1. The Mission wasn't giving us any instructions so I figured it would be all right. and 2. The Branch kept texting us and checking up on us so I knew that they would let us know of there was anything serious. The storm finally subsided at around 2 P.M. I was so desperate to get out and do something so we got dressed in service clothes and went out seeking service. We did that until around 6, when we went over to a members and hung out with them and had dinner since we couldn't do anything else and the power was out. We came back home around 8:45 and started searching for flashlights since the power still wasn't back on. It finally came back on at 9:16. And that was it. We were very blessed and I am glad that no one was hurt in the storm. I also have a 72 hour kit now and know what it is like to shop when a storm is approaching. Never again. I will always be prepared! :)

So that was the exciting part of the week. Other than that is was a very slow week. We only taught 3 lessons and no new investigators. I told President Weed this morning in my email, I feel that I have grown the most here and have done a lot of good, even though there is not much outward success. There is always things to learn from others and I am trying to apply that and I get to know my companion more.

We almost taught a new family though! We ended up having to cancel because she is going through cancer treatments. We are hoping to be able to teach her soon when she is feeling better.

That is all for this week. Be expecting more pictures!

With love,

Elder Ciminski

Storm Damage

Currituck Sound